e-city
Greek version Home Page News Events Events Hotels Travel Agencies Car Rental Travel Hotels Bar Club Restaurants Taverns Books CDs Gifts
Home Page > Sights > Natural Beauties > Nea Potidaia



Nea Potidaia 


Nea Potidaia

Initially, in the place of Poteidaia was found the ancient city of Flegra or else Pallini. A Corinthian colony with the name Poteidaia was member of the Athenian Alliance since the 7th B.C. In 357 B.C it was destroyed by Philippos, the king of Macedonia, but was rebuilt in the 316 B.C from Kassandros, who gave to the new city the name Kassandreia and opened the channel that secured the entire peninsula. It was conquered by the Romans and the Gotthous and finally it was destroyed by the Ounous in 540 A.D. It was rebuilt by the Byzantine emperor Ioustiniano, who fortified it with a wall parallel to the channel. In 1426 the wall was strengthened by the Venetsianous and in 1821 it was recovered by the local rebels (against the Turks), which defended themselves fortified in it. On 14 November 1821 took place the holocaust of Kassandras. The current village was rebuilt from the refugees of Eastern Thraki in 1822. Today, 1500 residents live in it. The protector Saint of the village is Saint George whose icon was transported from the Platano of Eastern Thraki by the refugees. Other churches: Virgin Mary the Revealed, the graphic small church of Saint Nikolaos, and in a distance of 1,5 km from the village is the Saint Efstathios (1872) monastery of the holy abbey Doheiariou of Mount Athos.

Go back to the previous page


Nea Potidaia




  Generally | Advertise | Contact | Other cities | Licence Agreement | Register events

© 2002 - 2003     Hellas Informatics. All rights reserved.