e-city
Greek version Home Page News Events Events Hotels Travel Agencies Car Rental Travel Hotels Bar Club Restaurants Taverns Books CDs Gifts
Home Page > Sights > Mount Athos > Monastery of Hilandari



Monastery of Hilandari 


Monastery of Hilandari

The history of the Abbey begins in the 10th century, but after its desolation it was granted by the emperor Alexio the third in 1198 to the Serbians sovereigns Stefano Nemania and his son Rastko, that became monks (Simeon and Savas respectively) and proceeded in the reconstruction of new buildings. So much in the 14th century as in the next century, the Abbey had a big development and assembled wealth and heirlooms from imperial as well as from private donations.
It is from the biggest in extent and richest in heirlooms Abbeys of Saint Mountain. The Abbey Helandariou constitutes the main intellectual centre of Serbians from the 12th century up to today. Apart from the central Temple (Catholic) that it is honoured in the memory of the Entrance of Virgin Mary, there are crowds of chapels, the lunchroom and the wings with the cells of the nuns and the other auxiliary buildings (Hostel, Library etc).
The current solitary confraternity maintains flourishing her relations with the Serbian population but also the Greek element of Saint Mountain and the around region generally.
Apart from the wealth of the murals (tower of Saint George, catholic, old and new lunchroom, etc) the Abbey is one of the biggest libraries of Slavian but also Greek manuscripts. Also, it has in her possession a crowd of pictures of all seasons from the 12th century up to today.

Go back to the previous page


Monastery of Hilandari




  Generally | Advertise | Contact | Other cities | Licence Agreement | Register events

© 2002 - 2003     Hellas Informatics. All rights reserved.