e-city
Greek version Home Page News Events Events Hotels Travel Agencies Car Rental Travel Hotels Bar Club Restaurants Taverns Books CDs Gifts
Home Page > Sights > Mount Athos > Monastery of Dionisos



Monastery of Dionisos 


Monastery of Dionisos

It was built in the middle of the 14th century from the monk Dionysos from Korysso of Kastoria and with economic aid from the emperor Alexio the third Komninos from Trapezounta. In 1535 it was destroyed by a fire. It was rebuilt once again and since then it remains substantially unchangeable architecturally and constructively up to today.
It is one of the most daring architectural units reposed on a rock that is raised vertically above the sea. Even though the space in the interior is particularly limited, nevertheless there exists not only the central temple but also a crowd of chapels, many of which are wall painted. Inside the Abbey is found and the defensive tower built in 1520 and is used seasonally for the keeping of the precious library of the Abbey.
The Abbey is dwelled by a new dynamic monastic Confraternity, which also cared for the tiding up of the old buildings.
The catholic temple has been wall painted in 1546 from the painter Tzortzis, one from the main representatives of the Cretan Faculty in the middle of the 16th century. The lunchroom has been wall painted in two periods: in the middle of the 16th century and in 1603. The Abbey has one from the most appreciable collections of pieces of art (mainly portable icons) and pictorial manuscripts.

Go back to the previous page


Monastery of Dionisos




  Generally | Advertise | Contact | Other cities | Licence Agreement | Register events

© 2002 - 2003     Hellas Informatics. All rights reserved.