e-city
Greek version Home Page News Events Events Hotels Travel Agencies Car Rental Travel Hotels Bar Club Restaurants Taverns Books CDs Gifts
Home Page > Sights > Mount Athos > Monastery of Pantokratora



Monastery of Pantokratora 


Monastery of Pantokratora

The Abbey is built above the sea, in the northeastern side of Saint Mountain and is dedicated to the Metamorphosis of the Savior. The Catholic of the Abbey is of Athonic type with murals of the 14th century that have been overpainted in 1845. The Abbey has in total fifteen chapels with most important that of the Assumption of Virgin Mary. From the Cells of the Abbey characteristic are those of the Ravdouho, probably of the 10th century and of the Assumption of Virgin Mary that is named 'Axion Esti', just as the homonymous miraculous icon. In the Abbey belongs also the Hermitage of Prophet Ilia.
Founders of the Abbey were two Byzantine officers, Alexios and Ioannis, who in the middle of the 14th century and with the aid of the emperor Ioannis E' Palaiologou, became monks in the homonymous cell, giving it form of a monastery. After the fall of the empire, the Abbey is enforced economically by souvereigns of countries that bordered on the Danube. In 1773 and recently in 1948, two big destructive fires took place.
The abbey owns a big collection of portable icons, ecclesiastical utensiles and heirlooms, while in its library are kept 350 manuscripts and over 3.500 books.
In the abbey is installed a fraternity of 25 monks.

Go back to the previous page


Monastery of Pantokratora




  Generally | Advertise | Contact | Other cities | Licence Agreement | Register events

© 2002 - 2003     Hellas Informatics. All rights reserved.