e-city
Greek version Home Page News Events Events Hotels Travel Agencies Car Rental Travel Hotels Bar Club Restaurants Taverns Books CDs Gifts
Home Page > Sights > Mount Athos > Monastery of St. Pavlou



Monastery of St. Pavlou 


Monastery of St. Pavlou

It is found in the western foothill of Athos and is 20 minutes away from the sea .The Abbey was destroyed many times by various causes and that is why its buildings belong to various periods. The Catholic was built a little before the middle of the 19th century. The Abbey has twelve chapels, with most appreciable that of Saint George with murals of Cretan art (1555). Two Sketes belong in the Abbey: New Skete and Saint Dimitrios.

We have the first citation of the Abbey in the second half of the 10th century, mainly from its landlord Pavlos Xiropotaminos and afterwards, in 1259. After the raids of Katalanous it was degraded to cells in order to finally become an Abbey in the third fourth of the 14th century. In the 15th century it gets economically enforced by Serb souvereigns and in the post byzantine years by souvereigns of countries bordering on the Danube.
In the Abbey are kept portable pictures, heirlooms, holy bones and holy utensils.
The library of the Abbey contains 494 manuscripts and about 12.500 books.
In the Abbey is installed a fraternity of 30 monks.

Go back to the previous page


Monastery of St. Pavlou




  Generally | Advertise | Contact | Other cities | Licence Agreement | Register events

© 2002 - 2003     Hellas Informatics. All rights reserved.