e-city
Greek version Home Page News Events Events Hotels Travel Agencies Car Rental Travel Hotels Bar Club Restaurants Taverns Books CDs Gifts
Home Page > Sights > Paros > Marpissa



Marpissa 


Marpissa

Some years ago its name was Tsipidos, it is built amphitheatrically on a low hill, in small distance from the sea, 17km east of Paroikia. It is a lovely village, with mild climate, interesting architecture and street layout, traditional windmills, marvellous houses and churches of the 16th and 17th century (Agios Dimiotrios, Mesosporitissa, Evagelistria, Metamorphosis ) with priceless art treasures. The metropolitan temple of Metamorphosis is quite contemporary (it was finished in 1960), of Byzantine rhythm, with roof and dome covered with tiles. Next to the temple it stands the Byzantine museum and next to it the museum of sculpture of N. Perantinos. In the centre of the village there is the folklore museum. Between Marpissa and Marmara we encounter the monastery of Pantocrator (17th century) and between Marpissa and Prodromos there is the monastery of Agios Panteleimonas (1655). East of Marpissa stands the hill of Kefalos that holds the wrecks of the venetic castle and the monastery of Agios Antonios (17th century) at the top. In Marpissa, on Good Friday takes place the enactment of the Passions and during the Sunday of the Easter, the feast of love joins people to an island revelry. In the 6th of August the Metamorphosis of the Saviour is celebrated with various cultural activities. In the village there are coffee houses and taverns. Following from Marpissa the road by the sea, south until Drios we will meet the golden beaches of the SE side of Paros (Piso Livadi, Logaras, Punta, New Golden Beach, Gold Beach.)

Go back to the previous page


Marpissa




  Generally | Advertise | Contact | Other cities | Licence Agreement | Register events

© 2000 - 2005     Hellas Informatics. All rights reserved.