e-city
Greek version Home Page News Events Events Hotels Travel Agencies Car Rental Travel Hotels Bar Club Restaurants Taverns Books CDs Gifts
Home Page > Sights > Historical Monuments > Saint George



Saint George  


Saint George

The small temple of Saint George is found western and adjacent to Rotondas, in the old road of Apostle Pavlos. It is a newer building without any particular architectural interest. This small temple was "catholic" of a small monastery, that belonged initially to the Metropolis of Thessaloniki, from which it was ceded to the Abbey Grigorios of Mount Athos in 1700. Then in 1758, this small temple, almost destroyed by the abandonment ,was granted to Abbey Grigorios , in order to be repaired and renovated in-depth ,in 1815. According to the tradition, the small temple of Saint Georgios was built by Christians of Thessaloniki when, after the capture of the city from the Turks and the transformation of the temple of Rotonda in 1591 into a Mosque, a temple was needed in order to transport there the holy heirlooms and the icons.

Go back to the previous page

Saint George




  Generally | Advertise | Contact | Other cities | Licence Agreement | Register events

© 2000 - 2005     Hellas Informatics. All rights reserved.